Rockwood was a Preaching Point on the Powell Valley Circuit in 1878. That circuit consisted of Vancouver, Washington, The Dalles, Gresham, Baseline Chapel, Sandy, Pleasant Home, Boring, Pleasant Valley, Fairview and Columbia Chapel.
In 1879, land was donated by Gustavus and Anna Winters for a church building at the corner of SE Stark and 182nd, on the south side of Stark. During the next decade the first church building and a parsonage were built. It was known for many years as Baseline Chapel.
Work began on a larger church building in 1918 and this second building was dedicated Jan. 21, 1920 by Bishop W. O. Shephard. Rev. H. R. Bowen was the pastor. This second structure served the congregation until 1955.
In the 1950’s the Rockwood community began growing with the development of subdivisions hastening this growth. The church grew along with the community and in 1951 work began on what would become our Education Building. A third church structure was completed in 1956 but was soon outgrown.
In 1959, the present 3 acre site was purchased and work soon began on our present sanctuary, the fourth church structure to serve the Methodists of Rockwood. On Easter Sunday, 1960, the new sanctuary was consecrated and used for worship for the first time. Later the west wing was added. Rev. Dwight Townsen was our pastor during those years of growth and expansion.
The church continued to prosper under the leadership of Rev. Gerald Tanquist (1964-1973) and Rev. Charles Kerr (1973-1982).
Bishop Jack Tuell was speaker at our Centennial celebration in 1978 and that same year we commissioned Gordon and Teca Greathouse as missionaries to be sent to Brazil. We still support the Greathouse mission.
Fellowship Hall was added in 1981and our beautiful inner courtyard soon after. Rev. Keith Maxwell served the church from 1982-85 and Rev. Ralph Fothergill served from 1985-1993. He was followed by Rev. Perry Jackman who served until his retirement in 2004. Rev. Alexandro Hinajosa was appointed in June, 2004. He moved out of state and the Rev. Julie Davis, a transplant from the New Mexico Conference was appointed to Rockwood UMC. Rev. Davis retired in 2010. Our current minister is Rev. Thomas (Ted) Myers.